Sites dedicated to the emigration
Benelux / France / United Kingdom / Swizerland / American continent / Canada / USA / Argentina / Brazil / Peru / Venezuela / Algérie / Tunisia / Australia / New-Zeland
Departures from Italy
- Departure recordsFrom the site “Ship Immigration Records” List of links relative to passengers leaving Italy, demands of…
- Immigrant Ancestors ProjectThe Immigrant Ancestors Project, sponsored by the Center for Family History and Genealogy at Brigham Young University, uses emigration registers to locate information about the birthplaces of immigrants in their native countries, which is not found in the port registers and naturalization documents in the destination countries
Emigration to Europe
Emigration to Benelux
Emigration to France
- CAC – Archives Nationales, site de FontainebleauFrench national archives, site of Fontainebleau. Registration and reservation, to consult the naturalization files (after 1930)
- CARAN – Archives nationales, site de ParisFrench national archives, site of Paris. Registration and reservation, to consult the naturalization files (before 1930)
- Immigration italienne dans les Alpes-MaritimesData base of italian immigrants having lived in the french department of Alpes-Maritimes from 1880 to 1935
- Immigration en Franche-ComtéPerusal of the registration registers of immigrants in Franche-Comté(1893-1920), mostly Italians, realized by the CEGFC. Write to the association to obtain a copy of the data registered on the index card of a migrant.
- Dictionnaire biographique des Italiens originaires du Frioul (provinces de Udine, Pordenone et Gorizia) établis en France – IndexBiographical dictionary of Italians coming from Frioul (provinces of Udine, Pordenone et Gorizia) and settled in France. This site enables to visualize the index of names and locations cited in the dictionary
Emigration to United-Kingdom
- The National Archives of Ireland1901 and 1911 census search engine
- The National Archives of United Kingdom“Looking for a person” : search for a person in the archives
- Free BMDFreeBMD is an ongoing project, which aims at transcribing the Civil Registration index of births, marriages and deaths for England and Wales, and to provide free Internet access to the transcribed records. The transcribing of the records is carried out by teams of dedicated volunteers and contains index information for the period 1837-1983
- Anglo-Italian Family History SocietyAssociation which aims at helping the British of Italian origin to find their roots. Certain resources are available freely, the others are reserved for the members
- The National Archives of United Kingdom – Immigrants
Records about foreigners coming during the past 600 years to live in the UK were created by various government departments at different times
Emigration to Swizerland
- SFA Swiss federal archives
- SSGS Swiss Society of Genealogical Studies
Swiss genealogy on the Internet
- Diocèse de Lausanne, Genève et Fribourg Archives of the diocese of Lausanne, Geneva and Fribourg
- Archives des journaux L’Express et L’ImpartialAccès en ligne aux archives des journaux L’Express et L’Impartial, édités par La SNP Société Neuchâteloise de Presse SA. Recherche possible par patronyme dans tous les articles, y compris les annonces d’état-civil
- Register of Swiss Surnames
This register offers a comprehensive alphabetical listing of all the families holding citizenship in a Swiss community. Each entry contains information on the place of origin (i.e. community of citizenship), time of naturalisation as well as previous place or country of origin
Emigration to American continent
- Altre ItalieSearch in three databases of italian newcomers, in the ports of New York (USA), Buenos Aires (Argentina) and Vitória (Brazil).
- Archivio Emigranti CISEISearch engine of CISEI (Centro Internazionale Studi Emigrazione Italiana) that searches at the same time : departures from Genova between 1833 and 1856, the “Memorial do Imigrante” from São Paulo, harbour of Santos, between 1888 and 1912, the data base of CASTLE Garden 1820 -1912 and that of CEMLA in Buenos Aires between 1926 and 1950
- French LinesLists of assengers having sailed between Le Havre and New York on ships of the “Compagnie Générale Transatlantique”, from 1864 to 1945; browse of passenger lists by travel or search by name (all registers are not registered on-line)
- Les visas en Bordelais This site displays the results of the spoiling of registers related to emigration from Bordeaux (France) to America.
- ISTG – French portsRetranscription of the boarding registers of the ISTG (Immigrant Ships Transcribers Guild) for emigrants leaving the French ports of le Havre, Bordeaux, Cherbourg and Marseille.
- Passenger lists leaving UK Boarding registers of emigrants having left Europe from harbours of the United Kingdom between 1890 and 1960, among those were a large number of italians
- Olive Tree GenealogySite dedicated to genealogical searches in Canada and USA. Very rich content: spoiling of registers, passenger lists, naturalizations, advices…
- Newspapers ArchivesArchives of newpapers of XIXth and XXth centuries, mainly from USA and Canada
Emigration to Canada
Emigration to the USA
- Castle GardenLanding in New-York from 1820 to 1892, before Ellis Island opened.
- Ellis IslandSearch engine of the passengers having landed at Ellis Island, in the port of New Yorkn.b.: A guide about what is available at Ellis Island
- The forgotten of Ellis IslandDatabase of people who died in quarantine in New York harbor hospitals (in Hoffman Island and Swinburne Island), between 1909 and 1911
- Landings in the USA – Multibase searchAllows a search for the landings in New York (Ellis Island and Castle Garden), Boston, Baltimore, Galveston, the New Orleans, Philadelphia, San Francisco, in Canada, from Hamburg, as well as crossings of the border between the USA and Canada.
- The National Archives – Italians to America FilesData Files Relating to the Immigration of Italians to the United States, documenting the period 1855 – 1900
- Italians ImmigrantsSearchable database of records on over half a million passengers who arrived at the United States between 1855 through 1900 and identified their country of origin as Italy or nationality as Italian
- French LinesPassengers list of the ships of the “Compagnie Générale Transatlantique”, making the crossing le Havre-New York between 1864 and 1945. Lists of passengers by travel or search by name (all registers are not online)
- Archives.gov – Declaration of intention or petition for naturalizationThis site aenables an online visualisation of a selection of naturalization records for immigrants from Italy
- Archives.gov – Naturalization RecordsThis web site enables to do a search to see the availability of naturalization microfilm
- Archives.gov – Census RecordsAccess to USA census records, from 1790 to 1940.
- Naturalization Records – USAVery rich site, issued from “Olive Tree Genealogy”. Helps to find american naturalization demands (Declarations of Intent, First Papers, Alien Registrations, Passport Applications, Naturalization Petitions and Citizenship Certificates
Emigration to Argentina
- CEMLASearch in the database of the Centro de Estudios Migratorios Latinoamericanos (CEMLA), concerned are the landings in the port of Buenos Aires for periods 1882-1932, 1938-1945, 1947, on 1948, 1949 (partially) and on 1950. Registers 1933-1937 are not available.
- Entrada de passageros a ArgentinaDatabase listing the arrivals of emigrants of any origin arrivals to Argentina in the XIXth century, including the river travels and certain arrivals from Genoa.
- Barcos de AgnelliLists of passengers having landed in Buenos Aires harbour between 1882 and 1920, from different sources as CEMLA and Agnelli Foundation
- Gen ArgentinaList of resources for genealogical searches in Argentina
Emigration to Brazil
- Brazilian National Archives – Database SIANThis on-line information system gives access to numerous documents, among which the registers of landing in the port of Rio de Janeiro from 1876 (browse by year then by boat). But the browsing is not very intuitive (from “Multinivel – Fundos e coleções do arquivo nacional”).
- JusBrasil – Diarios oficiaisSearch in the gazette of Brazil, allows for example to find notifications of naturalizations.
- Hemeroteca Digital BrasileiraDatabase of old digitized brazilian journals
- Imigrantes ItalianosA portal dedicated to the Italian emigration in Brazil, little mess but interesting.
- Projeto imigrantesSupplies the information of landing in Brazil with the immigrants (from 1737 to 1920) from a surname. Paying service: 80 reais, that is 35 euros for all the information on a given patronymic. On-line payment.
- Entrada de estrangeiros no Brasil – Porto do Rio de JaneiroLandings in the port of Rio de Janeiro (1880 – 1930)
- Emigrazione VenetaIf your ancestors came from Venetia: the Venetia is indeed the province where from left Italians’ largest number towards Brazil, in particular at the beginning of the Italian colonization in Brazil (1875-1900). Search by initial of the surname or complete name, information on the travelers.
- TelelistasBrazilian phone book. Can help to know if descendants having certain name live in a state or a given city, and possibly to write them.
- Arquivo Público do estado de São Paulo – Livros de Registro da Hospedaria de ImigrantesSearch in the database of transcription of the registers of immigrants arrival to São Paulo between 1887 and 1958.
- Imigrantes Espirito SantoDatabase allowing to look for the emigrants navigating on boats to the state of Espirito Santo. Filter at first with the initial of the surname.
- Arquivo Público MineiroArchives of the state of Mina Gerais (MG). By clicking on “Imigrantes”: access to the information on the recordings of immigrants, between 1888 and 1901.
- Arquivo Público do estado do Rio Grande do SulPublic archives of the state of Rio Grande do Sul (RS), one of the most ancient lands of immigration of the Italians in Brazil (before the development of São Paulo). Warning on the search pages: documents have not yet all been indexed for an on-line search.
- Arquivo Público do Paraná – Registro de imigrantesDatabase containing the recordings of immigrants’ arrivals in the port of Paranaguá, state of the Paraná (PR), for the periods 1876-1879 and 1885-1896.
- Arquivo historico de JoinvilleArchives of the city of Joinville (state of Santa Catarina, SC) and of its region. Click the link “lista do imigrantes”, a first list opens and a list of the other files appears in the left column. N.b.: These immigrants were essentially German.
- Instituto Genealógico de Rio Grande do SulKeep some registers relative to the Italians and the Germans who established in the colonies of the zone of Caxias do Sul.
Emigration to Peru
Emigration to Uruguay
Emigration to Venezuela
Emigration to Africa
Emigration to Algeria
- Archives nationales d’Outre-Mer – Algérie Consultation des registres de l’état civil dit européen, établi de 1830 à 1962, jusqu’à l’accession de l’Algérie à l’indépendance. Les registres accessibles en ligne couvrent la période 1830-1912. Concerne également les Italiens établis en Algérie.
Emigration to Tunisia
- GeneanumConsultation of the recordings of baptism, marriage, grave of the catholic parishes of Tunis and Sousse. It concerns numerous Italian, in particular a great deal of families originating of Sicily. It is then possible to order a transcription of acts the bishop’s palace of Tunis (cost 6,10 € by act).
- Geneanum – French naturalizationsPerusal of the French naturalizations of Tunisia, allows to know the numbers and dates of decrees.
Emigration to Oceania
Emigration to Australia
Emigration to New Zealand